Home Big Picture Camp Letts: The Loch Ness by Jeremy Elliott

Camp Letts: The Loch Ness by Jeremy Elliott


“Alright everyone. Settle down. Please get on your bus,” a STEM teacher said. We all got on our buses early in the morning, around 6 or 7 a.m. It was the middle of summer, and believe me, I think most people just wanted to stay in their beds. However, the bus ride was fairly short, and we were at Camp Letts in under 30 minutes.

The first thing we did was get settled in. After that, we were off to make personal trail mix using ratios to find out how much of each ingredient to use. There were things like cereal, raisins, and other various food items. After this lesson, we went to eat breakfast. It was great, but unfortunately, we wouldn’t be staying for lunch.

After breakfast, we did our only other activity, making cardboard boats. After making them, which took about two hours, we went out to the water to see which ones floated best. On our way to the water, I noticed a thing that looked like a large rock, randomly sink under water. I didn’t think much of it really. We put all the boats in the water to see first of all whose would actually float. They all did, but our joy was short-lived.monster turtle

A giant turtle leaped out of the water, swallowing all of the boats including the people on them. When I say giant, I mean it. Its mouth was big enough to swallow at least two blue whales. Its leg, the size of three blue whales, stepped ashore. The earth shook. And then another leg came out, and another one, and another one. The turtle was on shore. It roared, a sound like a Godzilla scream mixed with a cricket chorus. By now, everyone had noticed. It started walking, an AT-AT in disguise, only bigger.

We ran, Jurassic World style, the turtle behind us moving at a mind-boggling three miles per hour. Someone must’ve called 911, because soon the military was involved. The turtle continued rampaging through the camp, destroying everything. It was nearly at the highway now.

Bullet by bullet, the air force seemed to be weakening it. But not enough. It knocked an airplane out of the air, then roared again. The only way to defeat it now would be to wrap up its legs. Star Wars style.

A specially designed fighter jet came zooming towards the turtle, and wrapping up its legs in a steel cable. After about 130 laps, the turtle stumbled and fell. Its reign was over. People were crowding around it, news reporters, biologists, and much more. Everyone was rushed home.

Everyone was rushed home. Except for some casualties. It was over. I had met the true Loch Ness monster.

Sixth grader Jeremy Elliott, Central Middle School, Anne Arundel County, likes learning about microscopic creatures.